Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 1999:
[Freeciv] Re: Freeciv & MS Windows

To: "'Dan Sugalski'" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Freeciv & MS Windows
From: "Todd Goodman" <tsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 20:45:40 -0500

You don't get good performance out of your PCMCIA ethernet card (or
do you mean packet radio)?

> >What depth are you running the server at?
>
> 8bit pseudo-color. Alas the only option eXcursion has.
> (Otherwise I'd be in
> 24-bit mode)

OK.  I'm running 24-bit.

> >Did you try the XAW client?  It's available as a separate
> civclient.exe
> >from the same place as the install set.  Just save the GTK
> civclient.exe
> >and copy in the XAW version.
>
> Nope, didn't realize it existed. I'll snag it and try. If it
> works, maybe
> it'd be worth packaging in with the install kit.

My packaging tool won't let me package files with the same name.
I suppose I should add it with a different name and people can
copy to the right name.

> >I certainly agree that the Windows build could be better and
> intend to
> >continue work on it as soon as I can.
>
> Cool. This is probably ultimately a windows Gtk issue, since
> that's what's
> throwing the error, and Freeciv under Linux likes this config
> just fine. If
> you do get a chance to mess with it, drop me a line and, if I
> still have
> this particular box (it's a loaner machine) I'd be happy to
> give it a whirl.

Yeah, it could be my GTK build.  The checks in the GTK build
check OK, but...

I'll let you know if I can get going.  You already found the
native windows/non-cygwin build by Andreas.

Thanks,

Todd