Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 1999:
[Freeciv] Freeciv & MS Windows

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Freeciv & MS Windows
From: Dan Sugalski <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:57:23 -0500

I saw the thread about using Freeciv under Win95/98/NT, so I decided to
give it a shot on the laptop here. (Beats Solitaire on the train ride home
at least) I now understand why folks are complaining about what's going on.
I couldn't get it to run under WinNT 4.0 SP5.

Trying the 1.8.1 pack from freeciv.org, with eXcursions as the X server, I
get:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Your getpwuid call failed.  Please report this.gdk_imlib: Cannot Find
Palette. A Palette is required for this mode

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 4203 (gtk_widget_push_visual):
assertion `visual != NULL' failed.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 4187 (gtk_widget_push_colormap):
assertion `cmap != NULL' failed.
    0       0 [main] C:\Program Files\freeciv\civclient.exe 1000
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    0    8158 [main] civclient 1000 handle_exceptions: Dumping stack trace
to civclient.exe.core
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Obviously a no-go, and it doesn't matter whether I'm in single or
multi-window mode. Trying the client from
http://home.t-online.de/home/akemnade/civhome.html pops up a windows error
box claiming "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005)"

FWIW, Freeciv works just dandy when running on my linux box with the
display set to the laptop, so it's more than just eXcursion, at least in
the first case.

                                        Dan

Dan Sugalski                            even samurai
dan@xxxxxxxxx                           have teddy bears and even
                                        teddy bears get drunk