Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] Capitalization?

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] Capitalization?
From: Florian Klein <kleinf@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:23:19 +0100

Hi!

Torkild Hovde Lyngstad wrote:
> >       On another subject, whats with capitalization? I cant seem to get
> > past 0/999. Once I even bought it, but it didn't budge!

Capitalization is the fourth type of what a city can "build", after
units, improvements and wonders. With Capitalization, nothing is built
and the production is turned to funds.

> >       Is it automatic (I just select capitalization and the city starts
> > purring out money) or does it have to get "finished" first like all other
> > improvements?
>
> Each turn your city builds capitalization the city produces gold, yes.
> It cannot "finish" this project in any way.

Is there a configuration feature not to autoselect Capitalization after
finishing another improvement? Capitalization is great for cities which
have all improvements built to spit out money like crazy. But smaller
cities with less improvements and little production swith to
Capitalization after finishing an improvement and don't build any more
things until manual intervention. Especially in the Future-Tech phase
(>10000 of funds, >1000 of income, no more science race) it makes no
sense.

Would it be good to include a setting how Capitalization is
auto-selected?
For example:
* Only if all possible improvements are built (or no more are wanted)
* If funds are very low and global income is negative
* If much money is needed (e.g. heavy military action)

The same would be great with Factories, without Recycling Center they
make way too much dirt.

My strategy in building improvements:

City built
-> (if near enemy) 1 Armor -> (only in earlier game) 1 engineer/settler
-> (if near enemy) City Wall
-> (size 4) Temple -> Colosseum -> (Marketplace, Library, Harbour) ->
(size 8) Aqueduct
-> Mass Transit -> (Bank, Stock Exchange, University, Offshore Platform,
Super Highways) -> (size 12) Sewer System
-> Supermarket -> up to 3 engineers
-> rest of () -> Recycling Center -> Factory -> Mfg. Plant
-> More military units, more engineers, rest of improvements

(Cathedral not needed if Michelangelo built :-) )

Wonders only in one safe city (coastal, on river).

What I consider important:

Build Temple and Colosseum before Aqueduct (keeps people in peace).
Build Mass Transit before Sewer System (keeps pollution low before city
grows too large).
Build Recycling Center before Factory (the same reason).

However, after each turn correcting 10 or 20 autoselected
Capitalizations or Factories to what I want is sometimes annoying :-)

Something else: Is it a bug, a feature or a challenge that AI can select
0 - 100 % tax/science rate even in Despotism and a human player can only
select (what is correct) 40 - 60 %, with Republic 20 - 80 %? Is the AI
playing at different rules? This way it's quite hard to compete with the
AIs in the early game.

Ciao,
Florian.