Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] freeciv

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] freeciv
From: michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Weiser)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 14:06:29 GMT

Hello John, you wrote:
>Other than that, I have heard it rumored that using certain Windows-based X
>servers, compilers, and tools, that it is possible to compile civclient for
>Windows to use a Windows X server, but I would suspect such a solution is
>rather difficult.
Indeed it's rather difficult but possible, at least with
freeciv-1.7.1. You'll need:

- the Cygwin Tools from http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin
- an X11 compiled for it (for example from
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/porters/Okhapkin_Sergey)
- an X11-Server for Win32 (for example from http://www.starnet.com/)
- and my compilation of freeciv-1.7.1 and xpm-3.4k for cygwin from
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/porters/Weiser_Michael.

After fiddling a bit to get it all to work freeciv run's quite stable.

BTW: I wasn't able to compile freeciv-1.7.2 for Cygwin yet. There's
some change which makes it complain about missing prototype
definitions and unresolved symbols in libSM.a. But I'm working on
that. :)

>Why not give them Linux?
I would. :)
--