Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 1999:
attack problem, was: Re: [Freeciv] Caravan Problem?

To: wegster@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: attack problem, was: Re: [Freeciv] Caravan Problem?
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 18:32:10 +1100

Scott Wegener wrote:

> for another newbie question.:(  The only way I've seen to get untits to
> attack other units is to use Goto, and then clear the Goto flag.  I know
> how pitiful these 2 questions probably are, but I have RTFM/docs..Is
> there a way to just attack but NOT move/try to move into a square?
> Example:  Units with move capability of 2+ or sitting on roads/railroads
> blocking a pass, I don't want them to get out of position, but I DO want
> them to attack anything that comes within range..

If I understand what you're asking, you can't currently do this.
(This is similar to the auto-attack etc currently being discussed.)

Normally I attack using manual (keyboard) movement.  (In some ways
I consider the fact that goto will attack, to be a bug, but some
probably disagree...)

In general, freeciv is designed around you having to move all
your units manually; goto/autosettlers/autoexplore/etc are add-ons
(sometimes very useful ones!) which only cover special cases.

-- David