Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv] Problem Playing a Local Game

To: hop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] Problem Playing a Local Game
From: lduperval@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 21:40:50 -0500 (EST)

On 27 Dec, hop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm not certain if this is a bug report, or simply my mistakes, but
> here it goes. I'm having difficulties playing a simple local game of
> me vs. computer. I start the server without problems, but when I try
> to connect to the server, i receive a "Destination Net Unreachable".
> Of course, I use a dialup PPP for my internet stuff, so I connected
> to the internet, then tried to connect to my local game. It fails,
> giving me a "Connection Refused".
>
> The strange part is that when I start the server, it says that it is
> ready to receive new connections. (Nothing shows up in the server's
> output when I try to connect, btw).
>
> When I try to connect to my local game, I use "localhost" as the
> address that the game is located at, and I use port 5555, (default).
> The port settings appear to match.
>
> If its relevant, I'm using linux 2.0.34 (redhat 5.1). Everything
> compiled and installed without a problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin Hopkins

Does "ping localhost" work? Try connecting to 127.0.0.1 instead of
localhost to see if it changes anything.

Good luck!

--
Laurent Duperval          | All opinions expressed herein are fictitious.
Systems Analyst           | Any resemblance to actual opinions, living or
                          | dead, is purely coincidental.
lduperval@xxxxxxxxx       |

Mars is essentially in the same orbit... somewhat the same distance from the
Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals,
we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If
oxygen, that means we can breathe.
                -- Vice President Dan Quayle