Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 1998:
[Freeciv] Re: AI Cheating

To: i440r@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: AI Cheating
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:32:54 +1100

Mark I Manning IV wrote:

> This game is great but ther are a couple of things thart are totally
> SHIT (sorry) about it.  the mose rediculous thing is that when i start a
> game against 4 AI p[layers they all start to build the great library
> before I have even researched monarchy.   THIS is not right.  You
> seriously need to develop a fairer AI player.
>
> I cant believe you needed to stack the odds against the human because
> you are unable to make the AI play well emough to win without it
> cheating ????

So the AI was too good for you, and therefore you're accusing us
of not having a good enough AI?  I'm confused :-)
(Ok, the AI does cheat in a few small ways, but mainly it does well
by good strategy and management in the early game.)

> The only other SMALl annoyance is the way the mouse has to point at an
> edit box in order to edit in it.  even if the window has the focus you
> cant type in the edit box or move a man on the map unless the mouse
> POINTS at the edit line or map window.  ERm... come on guys, surely you
> can do better than that :)

Someone suggested this was an Athena widgets problem...

> I havev playd Civilisation I and II from day ONE, and the computer
> ALWAYS cheated to some degree but not as bad as in this game.  There is
> absolutely NO point in playing against the computer if its going to nuke
> your size 3 cities iwithin 2 hours when  they are defended only with
> warriors.

I don't think the freeciv AI uses nukes, so count yourself lucky :-)

-- David