Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv] subs, etc.

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] subs, etc.
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:00:08 +1100

Andrew E. Schulman wrote:

> Can AI players see my submarines all of the time?  They find and kill
> them remarkably often.

Probably.  (Also I think there is still a bug where human players can
find enemy subs by middle-clicking.)

> Can AI players see all of the world map all of the time?  Can they see
> what's inside my cities and my stacks of units?

The AI is mostly omniscient (knows everything about the current state
of the game).  Setting it to normal makes it slightly less so.

I think it would be _much_ harder to make the AI not omnicient and
still smart, because you would have to deal with "remembering" things.
Eg, the omniscient AI just has to look at the state of the game
at a given time, and decide what to do.  A non-omniscient AI has
to worry about things like:  "I saw 2 submarines in this region
last turn, they might still be around, so I should be careful."

> The help text is vague about how close a submarine has to be to what
> units before it can be seen.

If you can work out the rules from the code, feel free to send in
improved help text :-)

-- David