Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 1998:
[Freeciv] Re: AI Cheating

To: i440r@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: AI Cheating
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:33:08 +0100

> This game is great but ther are a couple of things thart are totally
> SHIT (sorry) about it.  the mose rediculous thing is that when i start a
> game against 4 AI p[layers they all start to build the great library
> before I have even researched monarchy.   THIS is not right.  You
> seriously need to develop a fairer AI player.

Set the AI players to 'normal'.

> I cant believe you needed to stack the odds against the human because
> you are unable to make the AI play well emough to win without it
> cheating ????

No, one of the developers *thought* he was unable to do it *within a month*.
That's how long it took him to create this AI out of nothing.  If you think
you can improve it, please do!

> I havev playd Civilisation I and II from day ONE, and the computer
> ALWAYS cheated to some degree but not as bad as in this game.  There is
> absolutely NO point in playing against the computer if its going to nuke
> your size 3 cities iwithin 2 hours when  they are defended only with
> warriors.

I can beat the AI most of the time; among humans I'm fairly average.

[...]
> (how about a free inet version of THAT game :)

If you're going to contribute any code, please contribute to Freeciv!
(I mean it.)

PS thanks for your short introduction to Forth last week.
Wonderful language.  I love the Freeciv chat window :)

--
Reinier Post                                             rp@xxxxxxxxxx