Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 1998:
[Freeciv] Re: AI Cheating

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: AI Cheating
From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Oct 1998 11:39:29 +0100

Mark I Manning IV <i440r@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 4 AI p[layers they all start to build the great library
> before I have even researched monarchy.   THIS is not right.  You
> seriously need to develop a fairer AI player.

If you are fighting "normal" AIs, they are not cheating, they are just
good (in the initial phase of the game).  Connect to the game as one
of the AI races, and watch how the AI does it.  "Hard" AIs are only
cheating a little bit.

> I cant believe you needed to stack the odds against the human because
> you are unable to make the AI play well emough to win without it
> cheating ????

IMHO, we need to be able to stack the odds FOR and AGAINST the
human(s) as we see fit.  I used to be spanked royally by the AIs, but
then I started to learn; I red "Gregurabi's Twelve-Step Program for
World Domination"; I watched the AI play (see above).

BTW, how about "record & replay" capabilities in freeciv?  A few
sample games would be nice, and we could compare playing styles.

        Massimo Campostrini