Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv 2.0.8 released

To: Christian Prochaska <cp.ml.freeciv.dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv 2.0.8 released
From: John Keller <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 15:42:36 +0100

Christian Prochaska wrote:
> On 3/6/06, John Keller <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Nice, thank you Christian.
>>
>> I've been working on the Windows install wiki page [1] on and off for a
>> few weeks now. There are a couple of things that I've had problems with:
>>
>> 1) Getting sound: Which packages & compile flags (and other settings) do
>> you use to get sdl-mixer working? I only made cursory attempts, but
>> couldn't seem to get it working.
>
> I forgot to think about sound support and therefore it was missing.
> There are updated setup files in FTP incoming now:
>
> ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/Freeciv-2.0.8-win32-gtk2-setup-3.exe
> ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/Freeciv-2.0.8-win32-setup-2.exe
>
> I used the win32 binaries and development files from
> http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/. I'm going to rebuild
> everything from scratch now and then you'll get a mail with all the
> steps that were necessary to make the compilation work.

Great, thank you very much! (The libsdl.org site was the source I'd used
too, but I didn't get it going and didn't get back to trying.)

>> 2) How have you gotten around the compile problem with the "intl"
>> directory? [2] Older libiconv/gettext packages, or something else?
>
> I used the older packages that were recently linked by someone on the
> wiki page. They got lost with your major rewrite, but are now back on
> the page again.

Yes, that was an oversight when I was centralizing things that could go
wrong. (I still need to give that area some love, anyway.) Thanks to
"Cproc" for adding it back and to "Ollinaie" for originally putting up
the links.

I'd gotten dependency problems by rolling back to those older versions.
Are you otherwise using the latest versions of the packages (i.e. GTK+
2.8.12, pango/pango-dev 1.10.2)?

- John