Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14982) capturing a city gives negative borders

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14982) capturing a city gives negative borders
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:22:47 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>When I capture a city, I immediately get ownership of the city tile but
>>every tile around the city is still owned by the enemy.The result is
>>that no tiles can be worked and the city typically starves horribly for
>>several turns.
>>
>>Is this a bug or a feature?
>

> It is an interesting consequence of the new borders rules.
>
> It does not strike me as altogether implausible that a city might have
> problems with production a few years after conquest.

It also happens during civil war.

I had thought borders would not be stolen, so if I controlled a border
with a city someone else couldn't take it away.  But this isn't the case
at the moment since the borders are taken.  I think it is a bug because
it is the city that was just conquered that is the source of the borders.

In a related problem, you can easily take your settlers into enemy
territory and found a new city.  However you only get control of the
tile your city was on, and it may quickly starve.  But if you have a
unit fortified there, you then keep control of that tile and the player
can't get it back!  This is really obnoxious during peace.

-jason