Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14480) AutoReply: can open units window for peacef

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14480) AutoReply: can open units window for peaceful trireme
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:44:20 -0700

Christian Knoke wrote:

>>A way to reproduce this would be great.
>
> Impossible. I replayed over several turns the situation and can conquer the
> same cities, but no ghost units. Sorry.
>
> If you have an idea about an indication in the savegames, though, I can grep
> them.

I suspect it happens because you do an attack on a unit in the city
which fails.  The unit is revealed to you when you attack it but is not
properly hidden afterwards.  Later the unit is moved out of the city and
away to safety; you don't see this happen.  No further updates are sent
since you never see the unit again, so the ghost unit remains.

It could also happen because you see the unit move into the city, but
it's not hidden when it does so.  You do not see it move out, and the
rest is the same as above.

Reproducing either would be pretty dicey.  I'll take a look at the code
in a bit.

-jason