Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13925) Complaint about FreeCiv tabs becoming windows

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13925) Complaint about FreeCiv tabs becoming windows
From: "Nando Florestan" <nando2003@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:08:33 -0700

Dear FreeCiv developers,

I have been playing FreeCiv 2.02 for months and loving it. I remember
when I first saw the tabbed UI (like Firefox) I felt proud of the open
source developers, who in this respect where doing a much better job
than the Civilization developers who made a window based interface.

Today I had problems connecting to game servers (the website is ALSO
down!), so I downloaded 2.05 from Sourceforge and installed it. To my
enormous disappointment, I could see no improvement. When the game is
launched, 2 windows appear at the same time, which is ugly to start
with. Then, in game, tabs have been replaced by windows, requiring many
more clicks to accomplish the same tasks.

The new windows look very ugly on Windows.

If I leave the windows open, pressing F1, F2, F3, F4 does NOT bring them
to the top!!!!! I have to CLICK on the taskbar to open the window I
want! And I don't know which window that is because of the window title!

I looked for some options to set but could find nothing that would bring
the tabbed UI back.

PLEASE revert to the tabbed UI, how could you even think of throwing it
away?

Now you have a broken website ("Waiting for www.freeciv.org...", says
Firefox), a broken game metaserver AND a release with a broken UI!

Please do not disappoint me further by not replying to this.

Sincerely,

Nando
http://www.oui.com.br/n/