Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13936) Improved Russian nation

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13936) Improved Russian nation
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 04:44:58 -0700

On 2005-09-11, at 10.13, Egor Vyscrebentsov wrote:

> Please, take a look at
> http://lists.complete.org/freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx/2004/12/
> msg00000.html.gz
> and follow-ups.

Incorporated many changes from that thread. A Soviet nation would be
nice, but it would require the creation of new nation group: Neither
Modern nor Medieval fits. I has been thinking about a "Colonial" group
before (for Boer etc), but Soviet would fit better in "WW2", "Cold War"
or something.

> DM>The changes are in order:
> DM>
> DM>- Expanded legend.
>
> If you know russian, you may look into translation of the legend in
> ru.po.
> (My translation from russian to english is horrible, so i'm just
> afraid to
> translate it back)

Sorry, my Russian is nonexistent. If you give a rough translation, I
can try to clean it up. I rephrased my legend a little, to make it more
neutral. What do you think?

> DM>- Native Russian leader names, using the same transliteration
> method as
> DM>in the city names (see
> DM>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Transliteration_of_Russian_into_English)
> DM>Please note that I'm NOT removing Roman numerals this time!
> DM>
> DM>- Added Putin as leader.
>
> Hm, I'd prefer not to add current persons into rulesets.

I thought he was a good representative of modern non-Soviet Russia. But
removed for now. In fact, I borrowed the entire leader list from your
nation file and added comment about other spellings etc.

> DM>- Fixed bug in ruler_titles tag
> DM>
> DM>- Czar/Czarina -> Tsar/Tsaritsa (native spellings) and moved to
> DM>Despotism. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar and
> DM>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsarina)
>
> Heh, for Despotism 'Knyaz' and 'Knyaginya' would be better, IMHO.
>
> DM>- Added Imperator/Imperatritsa title for Monarchy (see
> DM>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperator#Post-Roman_use)
>
> Do we realy want to transliterate? These titles are translated
> anyway...

I'm going with your suggestions here.

> DM>- Added latvian as a ciliwar nation.
> DM>
> DM>- St. Petersburg -> Sankt-Peterburg (native spelling) and moved it
> down
> DM>the city list, since it is a late (18th century) Russian city. (See
> DM>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Petersburg)
>
> There was a doc somewhere in an old freeciv site about city ordering.
> Old capitals have a big advantage. (Well, there was a perl script for
> ordering)
> And, of course, SPb is (at least) no. 2 city for russian ;)
> And, yeah, Petrozavodsk, Rostov[-na-Donu] are not older than SPb.
> Uralsk is in Kazakhstan.

SPb is the second city of modern Russia. However, this ruleset is for
medieval Russia as well, that's why I moved it down the list. With some
reordering according to your comment. Added all additional cities from
your version of city list. Noticed that it removes the city "Uralsk":
Is that not an appropriate city?

Rostov and Rostov-na-Donu is two different cities. Should both be in
city list perhaps?

Daniel