Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13936) (RT#13836) Improved Russian nation

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13936) (RT#13836) Improved Russian nation
From: "Egor Vyscrebentsov" <evyscr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 01:13:55 -0700

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:20:59 -0700
Daniel Markstedt <himasaram@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

DM>I'm giving the Russian nation a more far-reaching overhaul:

Please, take a look at
http://lists.complete.org/freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx/2004/12/msg00000.html.gz
and follow-ups.

DM>The changes are in order:
DM>
DM>- Expanded legend.

If you know russian, you may look into translation of the legend in ru.po.
(My translation from russian to english is horrible, so i'm just afraid to
translate it back)

DM>- Native Russian leader names, using the same transliteration method as
DM>in the city names (see
DM>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transliteration_of_Russian_into_English)
DM>Please note that I'm NOT removing Roman numerals this time!
DM>
DM>- Added Putin as leader.

Hm, I'd prefer not to add current persons into rulesets.

DM>- Fixed bug in ruler_titles tag
DM>
DM>- Czar/Czarina -> Tsar/Tsaritsa (native spellings) and moved to
DM>Despotism. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar and
DM>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsarina)

Heh, for Despotism 'Knyaz' and 'Knyaginya' would be better, IMHO.

DM>- Added Imperator/Imperatritsa title for Monarchy (see
DM>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperator#Post-Roman_use)

Do we realy want to transliterate? These titles are translated anyway...

DM>- Added latvian as a ciliwar nation.
DM>
DM>- St. Petersburg -> Sankt-Peterburg (native spelling) and moved it down
DM>the city list, since it is a late (18th century) Russian city. (See
DM>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Petersburg)

There was a doc somewhere in an old freeciv site about city ordering.
Old capitals have a big advantage. (Well, there was a perl script for ordering)
And, of course, SPb is (at least) no. 2 city for russian ;)
And, yeah, Petrozavodsk, Rostov[-na-Donu] are not older than SPb.
Uralsk is in Kazakhstan.

Thanks, evyscr.

PS Hope to update my versions of rulesets soon.

PPS "When Kiev was conquered by the Mongols in the \
13th century, power over the Russian domain moved to Moscow."
Kiev lost its power at 1169 (when it was conquered by Andrey Bogolyubskiy,
Knyaz of Vladimir.)
Moscow became one of most important cities at about 1325-1328 (Knyaz Ivan
Kalita and mithropolit Petr).
Vladimir finally lost its significance at government of Dmitriy Donskoy, Great
Knyaz of Moscow (1363-1389).
But this is just a historical note.