Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Integrate C++ code with Freeciv

To: gche043@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Integrate C++ code with Freeciv
From: Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:22:54 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 gche043@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> We are a group of students from University of Auckland, New Zealand.The
> post-grad project we are working on is to develop a Genetic Algorithm which
> will manage the cities in Freeciv to optimise the strategy (similar to the
> CMA).

Sounds like an interesting project.

> We are currently writing the genetic algorithm, but none of us is very
> familiar
> with C.We were wondering if we could program our GA in C++ and integrate with
> Freeciv.Do you think its possible?

What do you mean by integrate? If you mean compile and run, there should
be no problem, as long as you do not mix C and C++ code in the same file.
The headers should be C++ compatible. The C code itself uses C99, which is
not C++ compatible. If you mean include your code in the Freeciv
distribution, then it is unlikely that we will do so if you use C++ code,
due to the extra maintenance overhead this would cause.

  - Per