Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Integrate C++ code with Freeciv

To: gche043@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Integrate C++ code with Freeciv
From: Peter Schaefer <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:55:27 +0200

On 8/17/05, Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 gche043@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > We are a group of students from University of Auckland, New Zealand.

> > We are currently writing the genetic algorithm, but none of us is very
> > familiar
> > with C.We were wondering if we could program our GA in C++ and integrate
> > with
> > Freeciv.Do you think its possible?

> If you mean include your code in the Freeciv
> distribution, then it is unlikely that we will do so if you use C++ code,
> due to the extra maintenance overhead this would cause.

Maybe the part of the GA+freeciv program interpreting the parameters
optimized by the GA could be written in C (C99?), so that it could be
used. Which kind of gets me thinking, this would be much like calling
a (modified) freeciv from a shell .. Unless you intend to vary the GA
parameters over the turns and have several iterations of the GA in one
game, that is