Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3594) A new suggestion

To: andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3594) A new suggestion
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:15:25 -0700

There was a great deal of work done here, too bad none of this made it
into the game! But I can see why: The flag.

The flag controversy can be summarized like this:
-The "Raven" flag didn't translate into good game graphics.
-The "Union Jack" wasn't representative of the Vikings.
-Nobody made a "Viking Boat" flag.

Here goes a fourth suggestion:
The Faroe Islands flag.

Pros:
-Available on Wikipedia
(http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Faroe_flag_300.png)
-Will make good game graphics.
-The Faroe people are direct decedents of the Vikings.

Cons:
-The controversy may start all over again if somebody decides to create
a Farose nation.
-Somewhat similar to the Finnish flag.
-The Nordic Cross design is a Christian symbol that may or may not
represent the Vikings well (a problem with many other flags; i.e.
Chinese)

If this suggestion gets support, I would be happy to complete the
project. :-)

Daniel