Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3594) Data: viking.ruleset

To: andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3594) Data: viking.ruleset
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:12:27 -0700

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Christian Knoke wrote:
> True; what we can do is, put flags that are hard to distinct, into small
> groups, and let players choose only one nation of that group per game.

The solution is not to add more complexity on top of the existing enormous
complexity. Unless you add proper GUI support to show how this works, it
will generate tons of bug reports when players cannot chose their
favourite nation and do not understand why.

The only solution I see without removing some nations is to stop using
flags for units and cities, and instead just use distinct colours, as we
do for borders.

> In times were the number of nations was limited, there often were requests
> for adding this and that or just more nation(s).

I remember the constant pressure for new nations, and the constant
complaints about the nation limit (now gone). I cannot remember ever
hearing a complaint that the number of nations was too low or that there
was too little variety to chose from.

  - Per