Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9172) RFC: Choose nations in pregame

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9172) RFC: Choose nations in pregame
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 08:10:09 -0700

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> >- The chat window should only contain player chat, not server chatter.
>
> I think we need a separate window for server messages only

I think 'server messages' should be very few, preferably none. This is
why GUI exists. (But 'game messages' is another thing.)

> >- The 'leader' name should be ignored for multiplayer games, where
> >  player name should be identical with connection (user) name.
>
> I don't like this idea very much.

Why? Leader names have no purpose in multiplayer games, other than for
naming AIs, and this can be done transparently as the game is started.

> >- There need be a column for teams. The idea that we discussed here is
> >  that the server sends a list of possible teams that can be selected,
> >  depending on the rulesets.
>
> I agree, but the server should not send a list of possible teams. Instead
> the teams should be by default "Team 1", "Team 2", etc. and should be able
> to renamed by clicking on them. I guess this will require the server to be
> able to rename teams.

The idea is that some rulesets would have predefined 'sides', like
'Allies', 'Axis', 'Evil dudes', 'Good guys', etc..

However, for all I care, we can just give them numbers, like in C&C
Generals, avoiding all the hassle with strings.

  - Per