Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9172) RFC: Choose nations in pregame

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9172) RFC: Choose nations in pregame
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 06:53:24 -0700

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 05:32:44AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> Some thoughts for further design:
>  - The chat window should only contain player chat, not server chatter.

I think we need a separate window for server messages only

>  - The 'aifill' option should be removed, and instead add AI players as
>    if they were human players, like done in Starcraft. You should be able
>    to specify the nations of the AI players.

/create should be able to take no arguments to allow ease of use and then
remove 'aifill' from the server too.

>  - The 'leader' name should be ignored for multiplayer games, where
>    player name should be identical with connection (user) name.

I don't like this idea very much.

>  - There need be a column for teams. The idea that we discussed here is
>    that the server sends a list of possible teams that can be selected,
>    depending on the rulesets.

I agree, but the server should not send a list of possible teams. Instead
the teams should be by default "Team 1", "Team 2", etc. and should be able
to renamed by clicking on them. I guess this will require the server to be
able to rename teams.

And I don't think that everybody should get a team initially. The column
be a drop down box initially blank that people can pick from Team X where X
is the number of players-1 created so far or type in his own Team name,
(after which that Team name can appear in the drop down box).

-mike