Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12919) crazy barbarians

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12919) crazy barbarians
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:34:06 -0700

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 01:06:26AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
> 1.  They aren't very fair.  With a high barbarian rate the winning
> civilization is the one that survives the longest.  Usually this is the
> smallest civ.

That's a nuisance; what causes this -- how do barbarians work in terms of
choosing targets? it sounds like it's not just random.

> 3.  They go after each other.  There is no check on
> barbarians-attacking-barbarian-civs so after they conquer enough cities
> most combat is barbarian-versus-barbarian.

Seems reasonable: barbarians go after the strong, so if it's barbarians
who are strong, why not go after barbarians?  That levels the playing
field, as expected.

If we want some level of realism, perhaps we really want two types of
barbarians: raiders who upon taking a city simply plunder it (sell
buildings, reduce population) and go away, and groups looking for a
place to settle, who upon taking a city become a normal civilization.

        -- Benoît