Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12896) Diplomat fixes

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12896) Diplomat fixes
From: "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:39:01 -0700

On 4/26/05, Per I. Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This patch fixes some issues reported with diplomats, but I was unable to
> find the relevant ticket(s), so I made a new one.
>
> CHANGES:
>  - Diplomat combat calculation now more fair. Does not rely on diplchance.
>  - Give a message to reveal why a diplomat was caught when trying to steal
>    from a city you have stolen from before.
>  - Allow auto-success for diplomats (diplchance=100).
>  - Limit diplchance to a minimum of 50 to restrict diplchance cheating.
>    (Players setting diplchance to some absurd low value without other
>    players noticing.)
>  - Improve server helptext for diplchance.

Isn't 50% a bit too restrictive?
I feel that 33% would still be within reasonable range.

It might be possible to make this setting more visible by having a
different one with a similar effect:

With respect to bribing cities, a setting of 40% means one needs twice
as many diplomats to bribe a city as with the default 80% setting.
This means that instead the cost of a diplomat could be multiplied by
3 - this would make it obvious that the diplomat was less effective to
the player, and even the AI might realize it. Essentially this would
be a ruleset modifier.

The idea that military units in a city could defend against a diplomat
is interesting, maybe the diplomat could be made to have to try to
bribe every defender individually, and if it failed to bribe all the
city wouldn't have been bribed but the bribed units would be , and
would be evicted from the city like allied units when an alliance
ends.

O_o