Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12896) Diplomat fixes

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12896) Diplomat fixes
From: "Brian Dunstan" <bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:10:58 -0700

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005,
> Thomas.Strub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Reducing diplchance to 1 is a needed feature
> against autodiplomats! As
> > long as there is no other feature against
> autodiplomats reducing
> > diplchance is needed.
>
> But setting diplchance to 1 to combat autodiplomats
> is a _very_ nasty
> workaround, to put it mildly.
>
> Now that we have increased incite costs and improved
> diplomat defenders
> (and have autoattack), why are autodiplomats still a
> problem? Should not
> everyone have autodiplomats?
>
> Perhaps a setting to disable diplomats would be in
> order. (Personally I
> favour removing them from default ruleset even. I
> hate those guys.)
>
>   - Per

The default diplchance of 80 is much too high.  With
this setting a single attacking diplomat is capable of
eliminating multiple defending diplomats.

diplchance=50-55 seems to be more balanced, giving a
good chance for attacking diplomats to fail in their
mission, or to lose in a contest with defending
diplomats.  It also gives attackers a good chance to
succeed.