Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12856) proliferation of BONUS effects

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12856) proliferation of BONUS effects
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:58:08 -0700

Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:

> Your patch effectively implements the EFT_SCIENCE_PCT effect and friends
> from impr-gen using the general effects code, so the TODO comments for
> these effects can be removed. Here is a patch.

These are also in effects.c in the string array containing the effect names.

> We should possibly also make some convention for effect naming in the
> future. It is a mess right now.

Sure.  Even more important I think is a consistent ordering.  I'd like
to have effects grouped by TYPE rather than by NAME.

> How about:
>
> EFT_<NAME:string>_<LEVEL:number>_<TYPE:string>?
>
> LEVEL ::= 0, 1, 2, 3...
> TYPE ::= Per/Pct (x+=x*val/100), Add/Adj (x+=val), Inc (if x>0 x+=val),
> Bool (val in {0, 1}), Spec (special).
>
> Where x is the current value of <NAME> and val is the value of
> EFT_<NAME>_<LEVEL>_<TYPE>.

I liked the name of BONUS for the city-wide output bonus.  I don't know
if PCT was supposed to be the same as bonus_2 or to be some city-tile
bonus value (currently called "per").

-jason