Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12800) idea: barbarian level 5 (nightmare)

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12800) idea: barbarian level 5 (nightmare)
From: "Brian Dunstan" <bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:32:39 -0700

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Brian Dunstan wrote:
> > I have noticed that the barbarian level 4 (raging
> > hordes)does not have much rage in it.  For a
> > moderate to good player, they are not a major
> concern.
>
> I am inclined to think the option is bugged.

It appears to work as the designers intended.  The
objective seems to be fairness rather than difficulty.

> > I am curious what people think of adding modifying
> the
> > option such that a more difficult level is
> available.
>
> I think we should give priority to cleaning up and
> fixing the existing
> code rather than adding new code.

Is there a simpler way that barbarian behavior could
be matched to what is given as an option at game
start-up?

> > The attached patch accomplishes this, adding
> barbarian
> > level 5 (nightmare).Barbarians are generated each
> > turn with a shield cost equivalent to twice the
> > combined production of the non-barbarian players.
> > This will be a major concern for any player.A good
> > human player will be able to defeat these
> barbarians,
> > but the 'hard' AI has about a 50% chance of
> survival.
>
> It is an interesting idea. I think we should rethink
> how barbarians spawn
> and act (for all values of barbarianrate) so that
> they are more fair (less
> random in their choice of targets) and less capable
> of wiping out an
> entire civilization. Perhaps a points accumulation
> counting
> unexplored/fogged tiles for each player should be
> used as a trigger rather
> than randomness.

Perhaps.  Right now it uses number of cities as a
measure of the size and wealth of a victim.  This is
not correct.  In any case, if you give an option,
"raging hordes", doesn't that mean, if you're not
careful, it will wipe out an entire civilization?