Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12800) idea: barbarian level 5 (nightmare)

To: bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12800) idea: barbarian level 5 (nightmare)
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:18:33 -0700

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 06:46:00PM -0700, Brian Dunstan wrote:

> I have noticed that the barbarian level 4 (raging
> hordes)  does not have much rage in it.  For a
> moderate to good player, they are not a major concern.

Indeed.

> The attached patch accomplishes this, adding barbarian
> level 5 (nightmare).  Barbarians are generated each
> turn with a shield cost equivalent to twice the
> combined production of the non-barbarian players.

I like the idea of tying barbarian production to that of non-barbs.
Perhaps that's how it should be at all barbarian levels?  Then
game.barbarianrate would be used to define the function from players'
production to barbarians' production.

Specific comments on the code: you use bare constants like 4, 5, 500,
1000.  Don't: make #defines so we can easily change the values later.

        -- Benoit