Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12638) Remove reputation from the game

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12638) Remove reputation from the game
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 03:34:41 -0800

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 06:44:56AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> I have always felt that reputation was a dangling game mechanic without
> any real foundation and not sufficient reason to exist. It takes up
> valuable real estate in the already overcrowded player dialog. We should
> instead simplify and focus on improving the core game concepts. So this
> patch removes reputation from the game completely.
>
> As a consequence, I had to make a choice on what to do with the senate.
> Currently it will throw Republic/Democracy into anarchy if you declare war
> without due reason and your reputation is low enough. With this patch, it
> will always throw your Republic/Democracy into anarchy if you declare war
> without due reason. That should balance Republic and Democracy a bit (and
> make Statue of Liberty better).
>
> Comments... flames... ridicule... all welcome :)

/remove Freeciv :-P

Its not long time ago that people begged for a senate in Freeciv and this
was welcomed as a feature.

I get the impression that your are on a hunt to remove features from Freeciv
which - yes, have their drawbacks but does not exist without a reason in the
first place. Personally I wished a more intense discussion before (or not)
removing them. You say 'core game concepts', but what are they? I'd say
micromangement *is* a core concept of Freeciv (that I like). Random moves
are part of a well-balanced unit move concept. It will need a longer game
experience to see how these changes work out - good or bad.

Back to reputation, without reputation there cannot be a senate, without
senate no anarchy, without anarchy not concept of peace and war.

Imagine there were only client side AI's: what kind of diplomacy mechanism
could serve as a communicator between peace and war? How could players (AI
or human) trade/handle their diplomatic states?

</ridicule flame>

Christian