Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12638) Remove reputation from the game

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12638) Remove reputation from the game
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:31:57 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> I have always felt that reputation was a dangling game mechanic without
> any real foundation and not sufficient reason to exist. It takes up
> valuable real estate in the already overcrowded player dialog. We should
> instead simplify and focus on improving the core game concepts. So this
> patch removes reputation from the game completely.
>
> As a consequence, I had to make a choice on what to do with the senate.
> Currently it will throw Republic/Democracy into anarchy if you declare war
> without due reason and your reputation is low enough. With this patch, it
> will always throw your Republic/Democracy into anarchy if you declare war
> without due reason. That should balance Republic and Democracy a bit (and
> make Statue of Liberty better).
>
> Comments... flames... ridicule... all welcome :)

I think the AI love values replace the reputation to a large extent.
However if you're going to remove the reputation then the love values
should take the same info into account.  For instance detonating nuclear
weapons should decrease everyone's love for you (as it now decreases
your reputation).

About the democracy change, that seems like a good idea.

-jason