Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12642) Voting considered harmful

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12642) Voting considered harmful
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:31:30 -0800

Still not satisfied with the voting code, I took a step back and decided
to try something else instead.

Why?
1) Voting is not user-friendly. This may change with GUI support, but this
does not seem to be coming, nor is this easy to add.
2) Voting is relatively complicated.

Here is an alternative:
 - We remove voting altogether.
 - All players must press 'Start' (or /start) to start the game. A message
   indicates who has pressed (or this is shown in a new start game GUI).
 - First player to join becomes 'game host'; if the 'game host' player
   leaves the game, the game is restarted; only the 'game host' may
   change settings, and only during pregame.
 - If there is only one human player, or _all_ players do /cheat on a
   connection; this connection gets extra privileges; this gives a way to
   add a referee, or change settings problems, for instance.
 - cmdlevel is removed entirely; hack commands are available only to
   'game host' and 'cheater' that are trusted (same reqs as now)
 - Doing /endgame during the game removes you from the game; using
   "set endyear" is deprecated and left for single player games.
 - You can always /ai yourself. This is however irrevocable without
   getting a referee into the game as described above. If you only want
   to leave for a while, use /away, which does not allow using
   the AI for cheating.
 - /score is removed - see other patch.

Ths is similar to how Starcraft and other RTS games do it, and I think a
much more user-friendly way of doing it than our current way.

  - Per