Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12345) tileset madness

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12345) tileset madness
From: "Marcel Edward Verhagen" <marcel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:29:40 -0800

On Thursday 24 February 2005 12:25, Jason Short wrote:

> At ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/contrib/tilesets/ are many tilesets.
> Most of these are out-of-date and unmaintained.  A few have been updated
> for CVS.  There are lots and lots of tarballs and sub-directories; it's
> hard to tell what's what and updating them would be difficult.
>
> I took all of these and imported most of them into the "tilesets" module
> on freeciv-test (http://freeciv-test.sf.net/).  The tarball of the
> current module is at http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/tilesets.tar.gz - unpack
> this directly into ~/.freeciv or elsewhere in your $FREECIV_PATH to use
> these tilesets).
>
> I did not include the civ2gfx tileset here because it has a structure I
> don't understand, and lots of .exe files (unacceptable!).  I did not
> include trident, isotrident, macroisotrident, or isophex since these are
> all included with freeciv proper.  (Macroisotrident should be merged
> with isotrident here, and all should be updated from freeciv proper.)
>
> Most of these tilesets are still not usable with 2.0.
>
> I would like to see this module imported to freeciv.org.  IMO it should
> be called 'tilesets', and we should also have a 'soundsets' and
> 'rulesets' modules for contributed soundsets and rulesets.  Alternately
> we could add all of these to the main freeciv module in the data/
> directory; this would make maintaining them easier but make maintaining
> everything else in the data directory harder.
>
> -jason

I'm creating a little program to edit the rulesets. The present version is
very unstable but I am still working on it.
The final version will save to the ~/.freeciv directory. (The rpm uses a
directory without write permissions)
--> I hope 2.0 will search for rulesets and tilesets in the ~/.freeciv dir.

The rulesets and the tilesets have a depenency, if someone wants to add a few
units of building the rulesets and the spec files will have to be altered.
I hope there will be a combo in 2.0 to select a .serv file.

To make freeciv to make use of the graphics is more difficult. The .tilespec
file can only be choosen (and saved) after the ruleset file is loaded.
(Freeciv will give errors, but will start up), or by editing the tag
default_tileset_name= in the ~/.freeciv.rc file before starting freeciv.

--> So the .serv file should contain the tag with the
(default_tileset_name=) .tilespec file. This would ensure that the correct
modificated tilespec is loaded with the correct modificated ruleset.

Marcel Verhagen