Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12345) tileset madness

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12345) tileset madness
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:25:23 -0800

At ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/contrib/tilesets/ are many tilesets.
Most of these are out-of-date and unmaintained.  A few have been updated
for CVS.  There are lots and lots of tarballs and sub-directories; it's
hard to tell what's what and updating them would be difficult.

I took all of these and imported most of them into the "tilesets" module
on freeciv-test (http://freeciv-test.sf.net/).  The tarball of the
current module is at http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/tilesets.tar.gz - unpack
this directly into ~/.freeciv or elsewhere in your $FREECIV_PATH to use
these tilesets).

I did not include the civ2gfx tileset here because it has a structure I
don't understand, and lots of .exe files (unacceptable!).  I did not
include trident, isotrident, macroisotrident, or isophex since these are
all included with freeciv proper.  (Macroisotrident should be merged
with isotrident here, and all should be updated from freeciv proper.)

Most of these tilesets are still not usable with 2.0.

I would like to see this module imported to freeciv.org.  IMO it should
be called 'tilesets', and we should also have a 'soundsets' and
'rulesets' modules for contributed soundsets and rulesets.  Alternately
we could add all of these to the main freeciv module in the data/
directory; this would make maintaining them easier but make maintaining
everything else in the data directory harder.

-jason