Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] per: Remove the useless 'Game:' prefix f

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] per: Remove the useless 'Game:' prefix from in-game ...
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:01:38 +0100

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:00:56PM +0000, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> > The prefixes in the message option dialog should not be removed. These
> > are event prefixes not message prefixes.
>
> Now that the Game: is removed from the messages, does it make sense to
> have it in the messages dialog? The same concern in regards to space usage
> applies there.
>
> It might make sense that the special messages types (eg diplomatic) are
> prefixed, but not that the general ones are. Now that the Game: prefix is
> removed everywhere else, I think a Game: prefix only in the messages
> dialog will look rather odd.

The 'Game:' prefix in the message option dialog has nothing to do with the
messages you change. The messages you change have categories like E_NOEVENT,
E_UNIT_ORDERS, E_HUT_TECH, and others. In the dialog, 'Game' is just another
option category name, which will be useful when the message option dialog
will be changed into a tabbed form, as recently discussed. Also, I don't
think that it helps anything when it is removed in the current form of the
dialog. The 'Game:' category characterizes some global messages about the
game.

Christian