Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12177) city dialog too wide

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12177) city dialog too wide
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 02:33:42 -0800

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 04:46:31PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
> Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
>
> > Then please propose something else, something that will work for 100% of
> > cases, not some cases. I made several proposals. Feel free to pick one of
> > those or something other altogether.
>
> 1.  Get rid of unnecery columns.
>
> 2.  Clip the long columns to a maximum width.
>
> 3.  Provide a "short form" of unit/building names that can be used here
> instead.

First of all, the information presented in the worklist tab is *not* the
reason because it is so wide. At least not with current de.po and in S2_0.

Please see my posts of 09 FEB on this matter. I attach another PNG that
illustrates it.

Actually it is approx. max. est. 950 px wide. If the columns of the worklist
tab tables would have minimum width, it was around 800 px.

So the bug is somewhere else.

Ok, 800px is still a lot; making symbols for column headers and moving
captitalization to the info column will reduce it further.

I don't like 1) very much. At least the turns column has been a feature
request. But as city output changes, it may be of questionable value.

I'm against 2.) because it cripples the things. The way making text smaller
and smaller as you do already and now cut it is wrong IMHO. If a text is not
worth to be displayed in big letters and uncut, it is not worth to be
displayed at all.

3.) is impracticable, because it is hard to find sounding abbreviations and
even harder to translate them.

For the worklist tab design, I think the current is quite good. Line the
tables vertically doesn't look like a good idea.

But I agree that the dialog should be smaller, so that it can fit in the map
window eventually. If you find the real bug, and maybe remove the turns
column it will be fine I think. Additional suggestions I made above can be
done for HEAD.

S2 GTK2 is unplayable in 800 resolution, and is quite well playable in 1024
(I do all the time). I think we can state this clearly (also in the NEWS) to
say the users what is necessary and tell the developers what is possible.

Christian

PNG image