Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12177) city dialog too wide (was: Re: CMA / preset

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12177) city dialog too wide (was: Re: CMA / preset tab)
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 02:21:07 -0800

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 06:53:53PM -0800, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:

> > [chrisk - Tue Feb 08 22:23:15 2005]:
> >
> > The city dialog exceeds now 1024px width. For your convinience, I
> > attach 5
> > screenshots.
> >
> > For me, it looks as some miss-sizing; left part of worklist tab for
> > example.
>
> The problem is the worklist dialog as you noticed. It is symmetric by
> default. Making it non-symmetric would not actually solve the problem,
> since it would grow to the exact same size if you put one of the long
> named entries in the right in the worklist. Alternative, more complex
> files should not apply to S2_0.

Yes, I noticed that, but this is only half of the truth. Any column of the 2
tables can grow or shrink depending on its content (depending on the building
data of course). Now, the combination of a (the) whole set of buildings
makes the (right) table as big as it is. As long as you do not put
*everything* into the worklist it can be much smaller. Building Adam Smith's
won't never do it alone.

So I'd suggest to *not* make both tables equally wide, only as wide as
really necessary (I have a faint memory that there used to be resizing
problems, though).

In the worst case, then 1 or 2 cities will have an oversized dialog, not all
of them.

> My advices to you are:
> * Shrink or eliminate the "Bezeichnung" translation.
> * See if you can trim the longest Name and Info strings. Adam Smith's
>   translation for e.g. is especially long.

Well, you're right with that, thank you for noting. It will help some, but
not remove the problem (at this point I have to note that it is task of the
developers to allow translations that exceed the length of the usually short
words and sentences of the english language).

What comes to mind is replace some column headers with symbols (is this
possible in GTK2?). "costs" could be a shield symbol, and "turns" maybe a
clock symbol or else.

Christian