Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12177) city dialog too wide (was: Re: CMA / preset

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12177) city dialog too wide (was: Re: CMA / preset tab)
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:01:55 -0800

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Christian Knoke wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 06:53:53PM -0800, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa
> wrote:
> >
> > > [chrisk - Tue Feb 08 22:23:15 2005]:
> > >
> > The problem is the worklist dialog as you noticed. It is symmetric by
> > default. Making it non-symmetric would not actually solve the problem,
> > since it would grow to the exact same size if you put one of the long
> > named entries in the right in the worklist. Alternative, more complex
> > files should not apply to S2_0.
>
> So I'd suggest to *not* make both tables equally wide, only as wide as
> really necessary (I have a faint memory that there used to be resizing
> problems, though).

That will look really bad... it is pretty bad as it is now. I still
think stacking them one on top of each other is better.

Another alternative I just remembered would be to add horizontal
scrollbars. That is probably the easiest thing to do right now.

> In the worst case, then 1 or 2 cities will have an oversized dialog, not all
> of them.

Doesn't matter. The simple fact is the dialog should never be that big.
What if someone is on an 800x600 or 1024x768 screen?

> > My advices to you are:
> > * Shrink or eliminate the "Bezeichnung" translation.
> > * See if you can trim the longest Name and Info strings. Adam Smith's
> >   translation for e.g. is especially long.
>
> Well, you're right with that, thank you for noting. It will help some, but
> not remove the problem (at this point I have to note that it is task of the
> developers to allow translations that exceed the length of the usually short
> words and sentences of the english language).
>
> What comes to mind is replace some column headers with symbols (is this
> possible in GTK2?). "costs" could be a shield symbol, and "turns" maybe a
> clock symbol or else.

It is possible, but someone would have to draw graphics for it. Anyway,
these solutions would only apply to CVS HEAD.

---