Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5377) Documentation: buying/selling and changing p

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5377) Documentation: buying/selling and changing production in new cities
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:23:06 -0800

Christian Knoke wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:00:11PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>>[ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Tue Aug 20 17:57:51 2002]:
>>
>>>When you disband a unit or help wonderproduction with caravan in a new
>>>city and want to change the production the following message will turn
>>>up:
>>>Game: You have bought this turn, can't change.
>>>
>>>What should be changed and what not?
>>
>>Yeah, this is a bug.
>>
>>It should be fixed by setting newly-built and newly-conquered cities so
>>that did_buy isn't set.  This is pretty easy; attached is a partial patch.
>
> This is a game rule issue. Can or cannot units or improvements be bought in
> newly founded (or newly founded and then conquered) cities? I remember we've
> had a discussion about this at the design board, but I don't remember the
> result.
>
> At least I'm sure in former versions the rule has been, you can *not*.

You can not buy but you can change.  The problem is this is done by
setting the did_buy flag, which means if you have any shields (from
disbanded units or whatever) it won't let you change.

The solution is that the did_buy flag should not be set.  Instead we
should check the turn-founded value (which is already done).  The patch
I sent fixes this for newly-founded cities, but I don't know how it
works with just-conquered cities.

-jason