Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: tech cost (uh-oh)

To: Marco Tarini <tarini@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: tech cost (uh-oh)
From: Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:51:49 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Marco Tarini wrote:
> I would suggest to make the old method the default one.
>
> Rationale 1: from a background point of view, the old method allow for just
> a little hint of civilization specialization, something which unfortunately
> is on a very short supplyin FreeCiv. Like:
> "See? We developed into a war oriented civilization, and now we can develop
> <insert war tech here> much more easily than others, but <insert peaceful
> tech here> does not really come intuitive to us!"
> It was not much of a civilization specialization, but better than nothing.

The tech tree does not allow much specialization, as advanced techs have
requirements from all over the tree, crossing any war/peace delineation,
if such really exist.

> Rationale 2: from a game point of view, the old method makes one's playing
> style matter more.

Yes, but it requires the wrong kind of attention. That you need to be
careful of what kind of techs you get from allies makes cooperative play a
lot more painful.

The new tech cost system does not give ridiculous (IMHO) results like
horseback riding costing the same as robotics late in the game.

  - Per