Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11144) 7 science points expected but only 6 receiv

To: saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11144) 7 science points expected but only 6 received
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:36:52 -0800

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> > 2.The rearrangement comes as a result of a player move, but because AI
> > players are handled as part of the player end-turn, there is no
> > opportunity for the client-side CMA to take effect.If it were a human
> > player moving the settlers, the rearrangement wouldn't be a problem
> > because the CMA settings would still take effect again before the end of
> > the turn.
>
> Indeed. We must still fix this, for a single reason. We want to have
> Civilization I & II (TM) compatible game modes for nostalgia's sake and
> at least the AI needs to know how to rearrange workers for those
> cases. However, I don't think we should care for it being hard for
> players to arrange workers in such cases. I consider it a "feature" that
> makes the game a more reliable facsimile of the original.

The city worker, CM and CMA code is huge and complex. I fear that if we
move default over to a MoM model, the former model will get minimal
priority, bitrot fast, and the many bugs in it won't get fixed. So I don't
like the idea of having rarely used code of that complexity in the
codebase.

Same problem as with random movement, only much larger...

  - Per