Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10269) Submarines

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10269) Submarines
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:47:20 -0700

> [per - Thu Sep 23 08:45:35 2004]:
>
> I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Yes, new units later in the tech tree
> is good, but nobody uses subs nowadays, and therefore we recently improved
> significantly the standard sub. Now you made it worse again, and moved
> good subs even later in the tech tree. One of the big problems of the
> standard sub is that it is so late in the tech tree.

Yes, but IMHO it was made too powerful, too early. An attack of 15
will always sink a battleship. In WW2 subs were fearsome when they
attacked merchant navy convoys, but even then you needed packs,
against the main fleet they were mostly useless. Having to run
submerged on battery power, speed was too low. Besides you
couldn't submerge very deep.

The issue in Civ II was that subs were very slow and expensive. Now
they are one mp faster and 10 shields cheaper. This enables them to
hunt transports better.

> Besides, we'll need new graphics for these units.

I can draw the graphics. Should have an example soon.