Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10269) Submarines

To: vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10269) Submarines
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:45:36 -0700

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa via RT wrote:
> Someone in the forum mentioned that it would be an interesting idea to
> split submarines into attack subs and ballistic subs:
> http://forum.freeciv.org/viewtopic.php?t=324
>
> It also adds something new to the tech tree in later stages IMHO.
>
> I made old submarines weaker, more like in Civ II, except they can
> only carry 2 missiles, but are still a bit faster and cheaper. Then I
> added the two new submarines: attack submarine and ballistic submarine.

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Yes, new units later in the tech tree
is good, but nobody uses subs nowadays, and therefore we recently improved
significantly the standard sub. Now you made it worse again, and moved
good subs even later in the tech tree. One of the big problems of the
standard sub is that it is so late in the tech tree.

Besides, we'll need new graphics for these units.

  - Per