Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10127) AI does not build either farmland or Superm

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10127) AI does not build either farmland or Supermarket
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:35:56 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> Both codes use rather general functions to do the checking, so one place
> we have to add in some extra code with some wild guesses, perhaps based
> on the amount of existing irrigation or the city's need for food or its
> production capacity. I am not sure which code should be responsible for
> anticipating the actions of the other.

  Supermarket has upkeep cost even if there is no farmland around.
Farmland without supermarket has no such bad effects.
  Also, situation may change so that once we have finished first part of
farmland+supermarket, there can be more urgent things to do than
finishing second part. So it's possible that we never get any benefit
from first part. I think that we have more worker capacity than building
capacity to spent in such somewhat risky investments.

  btw We cannot call those things one creates to cities 'improvements'
as we use that term to land improvements. But word 'building' is
sometimes confusing, at least for us with limited understanding of
English grammar. Does 'building requirement' mean that something is
required before something can be _built_, or does it meant that
_building_ is required before something can be built, or both?

  - Caz