Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10034) no contact with adjacent player

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10034) no contact with adjacent player
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:43:04 -0700

Jason Short wrote:
> Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>>  I've seen this too. Problem seems to be that created player does have
                                 ^^^^^
  Not everything is as they seem to be, or there is actually several
bugs to same effect!
  One problem is that there is two different methods to determine if you
have contact with another player. You cannot create new contact if
diplomatic state is already != DS_NO_CONTACT. OTOH you cannot meet other
players if contact_turns_left <= 0.
  split_players() initializes diplstate to DS_NEUTRAL (you cannot make
contact), but leaves contact_turns_left uninitialized (it's most likely
0 -> you cannot meet).

>>contact with you, but not vice versa. When you move units make_contact()
>>  makes contact (both ways) only if enemy has no contact with you. So
>>you get contact only when enemy (AI) moves his units
>>(make_contact() checks if your enemys enemy, you, has contact with your
>>enemy :-)
>

> Does this have anything to do with owning Marco Polo's embassy?

  I believe that it's not cause of original bug that you cannot make
contact until turn changes; it still has it's effects of course (makes
contact when turn changes, and it's buggy in that respect)

  - Caz