Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9799) PATCH: rewrited adjust_map()

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9799) PATCH: rewrited adjust_map()
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:40:31 -0700

Le mer 01/09/2004 à 18:19, Jason Short a écrit :

> Marcelo Burda wrote:
> >
> > Le mer 01/09/2004 à 17:03, Jason Short a écrit :

> >>I edited the patch a bit.  Here's the result.
> >>
> >>However there are two problems.
> >>
> >>1.  Swamps are never placed.  This is because the method of placing
> >>swamps at places where hmap < .6 * maxval means all potential swamp
> >>tiles are now underwater.  I think the method in current CVS is broken
> >>too though.
> >
> > this is fixed in the next patch, i can do something now but as this
> > proble apear only if landmass > 60% default is 35%!! may the best is to
> > do to the next patch
>
> It shows up if the landmass is 40% or less, which it usually is.
>
> >>2.  Polar normalization is done after adjust_hmap is called.  It
> >>therefore breaks the linear distribution of the hmap.
> >
> > yes but after renormalize_map do the inverse and anyway poles are
> > avoided by generator(my code)
>
> Couldn't we just reverse the lines?  Do the normalize before the adjust?

it is a choice we can do, but after renormalize_hmap_poles some value
can be biger tham hmap_max_level, this is not a big problem, but hope to
kip hmap_max_level the maximum value. and i not want call 2 times
adjust_hmap, (this is a another choice)

any way has poles are avoided by generator this is most a theroical
problem than a real one. normalize_hmap_poles()  arificially make room
for poles AND sea for separatepoles  if genrator has not do engout.

call  to normalize_hmap_poles()-renormalize_hmap_poles() will be avoided
in all time where this be posible, but if player like separatepoles i
can't do any about that.

conclusion:
if exact is need the choice is to do 2 call of adjust_hmap: after
normalize and renormalize, but for freeciv this is to much! do one befor
normalize is ok to kip hmap_max_level the maximum anytime.
> jason

Marcelo