Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9763) Not fair: get_defender() fallbacs to tile ar

To: marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9763) Not fair: get_defender() fallbacs to tile arrival time when selecting between equal units.
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:09:56 -0700

Marko Lindqvist wrote:

> Jason Short wrote:
>
>>Marko Lindqvist wrote:

>>> Do you mean that they may differ now, or were you pointing out that
>>>they will differ with proposed solutions?
>>
>>Both.
>

>   Oh yes, even now server seems to send units in sort of reverse order
> when tile is unfogged (not testing, only reading sources, so don't kill
> me if I got it wrong). At least that part is trivial to fix.

I think having a priority field attached to the unit will solve the
ordering problem.  This priority field basically determines the order of
the unit in the list, while keeping the list itself unordered.  Any
users that depend on the order of the list should use the priority field
for ordering.

>   Is client allowed to see transported units? Will that remain so? That
> is, can we rely on client having all units from a tile if its got one?
> That would allow us sending position in list in unit info packet, so
> client could construct its lists to same order server has them.

The client cannot see transported units of non-allied players, or units
inside cities of non-allied players.  AFAIK there are no plans to change
this.  The client's list of units may therefore be incomplete.  This
isn't a major problem I think, but surely we would like for
get_defender() to return the same value at client as at server so that
the player isn't surprised when he attacks.

jason