Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9763) Not fair: get_defender() fallbacs to tile ar

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9763) Not fair: get_defender() fallbacs to tile arrival time when selecting between equal units.
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:18:43 -0700

Jason Short wrote:
> Both inserting the units in random order, and taking them out in random
> order, breaks the reproducability of saving+loading.  In the former case

  Reproducability of saving+loading is broken already. Putting units to
random position when they enter tile has no effect to that, nor makes
fixing it any more difficult. Units are not saved in order they appear
in tile, but in order they are in player.units. See my comments in #436.

> when inserting the units on load the random order will be changed, and
 > extra rand() calls will be done.

  Units are inserted in random order only when they move, not when
savegame is loaded. Save+load should return them in same order they were
before (which is not the case at the moment)

> My conclusion is that the defender_priority solution is better than
> either of these.

  Sounds much more complicated solution to me... and does not fix other
(currently unknown) fairness problems caused by 'well defined' unit list
order.

  - Caz