Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9596) Better nation selection

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9596) Better nation selection
From: "Mateusz Stefek" <mstefek@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 01:13:53 -0700

On 2004-08-04 09:44:18, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Mateusz Stefek wrote:
> > Since common_class() doesn't work well I thought over this problem
> and
> > discovered that founding/collapse year is much better tool than the
> > knowledge which nations are still independent and alive (This is in
> > fact the only information stored in class)
>
> I agree. Does this mean that common_class() will be removed?

find_common_class() is removed in my patch.

> > > It is an interesting idea, but I don't like the way it is done.
> The
> > > implementation is tied too closely to the present ruleset and its
> > > assumptions. Instead, perhaps we should offer some restricted
> nation
> > > lists that can be used to attain consistency.
> >
> > What does present ruleset assume that makes my implementation
> > inflexible?
>
> I do not think it is inflexible, but I do not think it is the best
> solution. For one thing, it only works for single-player.

It also works when there is more then one player. If one player chooses
Greeks and second player chooses Persians AI will still prefer ancient
nations.

I think you'd like to remove the possibility of simultaneous existence
of Romans and Italians in the same game. In single player it is solved
and IMO it is better to leave players a choice wheather they pick
reasonable set of nations or not in multi-player.

--
mateusz

>>> http://link.interia.pl/f181f <<<