Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9596) Better nation selection

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9596) Better nation selection
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:44:18 -0700

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Mateusz Stefek wrote:
> Since common_class() doesn't work well I thought over this problem and
> discovered that founding/collapse year is much better tool than the
> knowledge which nations are still independent and alive (This is in
> fact the only information stored in class)

I agree. Does this mean that common_class() will be removed?

> > It is an interesting idea, but I don't like the way it is done. The
> > implementation is tied too closely to the present ruleset and its
> > assumptions. Instead, perhaps we should offer some restricted nation
> > lists that can be used to attain consistency.
>
> What does present ruleset assume that makes my implementation
> inflexible?

I do not think it is inflexible, but I do not think it is the best
solution. For one thing, it only works for single-player.

> > This can be done by for example having a new file
> > data/ancient/nation.ruleset, then doing "/rulesetdir ancient". This
> > will load nations from that file, and everything else from default.
>
> If there was some gui for that it could probably be a solution, but /
> set rulesetdir is too complicated for most users and looks like another
> unused feature.

Well, it is only unused if nobody ever uses a modpack (like civ1/civ2).

We really need a GUI for choosing modpack in the new connection dialog.
This could offers a list of choices from a dropdown menu:

        * Default - Modern
        * Default - Ancient
        * Civ2
        * Civ1
        * Historical

This solution would work for multiplayer as well as single-player.

  - Per