Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9482) Patch: add hex-tile support to Freeciv

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9482) Patch: add hex-tile support to Freeciv
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:04:21 -0700

Mateusz Stefek wrote:

> Dnia 2004-07-23 06:18:43, Jason Short napisał(a):

>>This patch adds hex-tile support to Freeciv.  I think it is simple
>>enough to warrant direct inclusion at this point.
>>
>>Please review.
>
> - Map grid doesn't work.

Hmm, it works for me.  This is a tileset issue, though, independent from
the hex topology stuff (you can use a hex tileset with a normal map or
vice versa, but it won't work too well).

> - You cannot move your units north (with the [8] key) but you can move
> it west with the [4] key. IMO it should be reversed. I'm attaching
> screenshot. (The topology index is 9)

The topology index should be 13 (or anywhere in [12,15]).  If you're
using the gtk2 client this should be set automatically, and if you got 9
it's a bug.

Topology 9 will work for a hex tileset tilted the other way, where going
  up/down is disallowed but sideways is allowed.  Of course there is no
such tileset.

> - The client should warn you if the tileset isn't hex-friendly (This is
> difficult because topology can be set by the client)

Yes, and yes.  With the gtk2 client the topology is chosen automatically
when you start a game.  We've discussed having the client switch tileset
to match the topology, but it's not easy (particularly since not all
clients support all tilesets).

What client are you using?  I'll try running that one and see if I can
get these errors (particularly the grid one).

jason